May 2, 2017

Contingent Upon Magenta by C. Drying


Contingent Upon Magenta is an exciting science fiction novel written by C. Drying.

Capt. Joan Jones is chosen to be the third member of a small contingent to Magenta, a matriarchal world inhabited by hostile purple humanoid, for two reasons: she is deadly and she is a woman.

With a heavy heart, Capt. Jones leaves her daughter with no expectations of making it back home. However, her arrival in Magenta, through Magentan Interrealm Conduit, is met with unexpected events and Capt. Jones finds herself on her own, far away from home, and in the presence of the captivating matriarch of Magenta.

Though I found the beginning of the book ambiguous and convoluted, it eventually grew on me and I found myself enjoying the story with its secrets and mysteries. The author successfully created a world with its scarred but formidable matriarch. I found the Magentan culture quite different but very fascinating that I could honestly say I was thoroughly entertained and altogether engrossed by the plot with its unpredictable turns of events. Though I preferred a different ending to the book, I believe it was necessary and quite justifiable.

However, though the characters are well developed with their own sets of values, weaknesses and misgivings, I didn’t find anyone to my liking. I found Capt. Jones to be too indecisive, Maerora Ma too cold-blooded and Mălīn too impulsive. Moreover, I think that the roles of Noma and the spying girl were cut too short. 

Despite my issues, however, I enjoyed reading the book and I recommend it to fans of science fiction. Congratulations to C. Drying (@CDrying) on such an enjoyable debut novel. For more updates from the author, click HERE. 

1 comment: